On Sat, 2010-06-12 at 12:22 -0700, Gary Shannon wrote:

> But before I just arbitrarily pick a handful of classes, I would be
> interested in looking over other class systems used by other natlangs
> and conlangs. I've glanced briefly at the 22 classes in the Bantu
> family, but I was wondering if there is a good list anywhere of noun
> classes in various natlangs.

Corbett's Gender doesn't attempt a comprehensive list, but mentions
contrasts such as

Animate / Inanimate
Rational / Non-rational
Human / Non-human
Male / Female
Large / Small
Shiny / Matt
Edible / Inedible
Concrete / Abstract
Liquid / Solid

Sometimes there's no discernible pattern, as in Archi genders III and
IV. Domestic animals are II, but their young are IV. Large wild animals
are III, but small ones are IV unless they're insects. Liquids,
including water, are IV, but bodies and states of water are III.