> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 7:57 AM, Ben Carnehl <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>  There's a third reason that I have heard about: with widespread divorce and blended families, many children may have so many "grandparents" that it helps to have unique names to help distinguish them.

It does tend to confuse the issue with all the steps, halves and exes.
 My mother for example has no biological grandchildren but does have
step-grandchildren.  AFAIK (I haven't seen any of them since they were
small children, and I think they are all grown now.)  they've always
referred to her as "nana" though.