On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Kelvin Jackson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Relatedly, ObCL: what do y'all do in your conlangs to replace the
>> linguistic space that in English is almost unavoidably either theistic

> I've tried having a system of special "emotionals" that each indicate a
> certain, very specific emotion. The language using this system is still far
> from complete, but I like the way the system is turning outit allows one to
> add an emotional component to a sentence without prosody changes (aka in
> writing).

How do you add these emotional particles without affecting the prosody
of the sentence?  Even if they're always unstressed, they make the
sentence longer...

> For instance, ele /ElE/ indicates familial love, so you might

Neat.

gj-zym-byn has a closed class of attitudinal suffixes, which can
apply to any content word though most commonly to nouns and pronouns,
and denote the speaker's attitude (in general terms) to a specific
discourse participant; and an open class of derived attitudinal
adverbs, which denote the speaker's attitude (in more specific terms)
to the situation as a whole.

http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/gzb/semantic.htm#section6
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/gzb/grammar.htm#attitudinal

The attitudinal affixes, plus a couple of modifier particles, are the
most common interjections in gzb; also, some mindstate verbs,
especially those from monosyllabic roots, tend to be used
interjectively.  The attitudinal adverbs are rarely used as
stand-alone interjections, but I think I'm starting to use them that
way a little more often..

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/