--- In [log in to unmask], Dana Nutter <deinx.nxtxr@...> wrote:

> I don't see any NCNC issues except maybe where people start pushing
> their beliefs on others as with that first paragraph expecting others
> to bend rather than just accepting the fact that not everyone has the
> same belief system.  You can't discuss the semantics of religious
> terms without getting into the subject matter itself.  I'm not even
> sure what the "sacred name" is therefore can't say whether I've ever
> used it or not but certain terminology has to be used to explain
> things.

This has been my problem with the subject.  As far as I know there is no proscription to writing the sacred name, but to saying it.  After all it is written in the Jewish Bible hundreds of times, just not pronounced.  As a result the exact pronunciation is unknown.  Is using the vowels e, o, a correct giving me "Jehovah"?  Or perhaps a & e giving "Yahweh"?  Or suppose I pronounce the sacred name with /v/ instead of /w/ giving the German form Jahve?  Just which one is the sacred name?  The sacred tetragrammaton JHWH is used in scholarly writings all the time.

The Roman Catholic Church has recently issued an order that the name Yahweh may not be used in the Catholic liturgy.  This has mainly affected writers of hymns as the word does not occur in the various liturgies.  Composers have had to rewrite some of their verses.  The hymnals produced for the current church year now have the corrections.

As I see it, it does no harm to be magnanimous on certain points.  However, let's not get carried away.  I would not care to hear "Please, don't eat shrimp or cheeseburgers as it offends my God and thus offends me."

Charlie