On Jun 12, 2010, at 12◊22 PM, Gary Shannon wrote:

> But before I just arbitrarily pick a handful of classes, I would be
> interested in looking over other class systems used by other natlangs
> and conlangs. I've glanced briefly at the 22 classes in the Bantu
> family, but I was wondering if there is a good list anywhere of noun
> classes in various natlangs. Also, I'd be interested in any links to
> noun class systems in conlangs, as well as any ideas and/or
> recommendations along those lines.

Dyirbal is a natlang with an interesting four class system. You
can find more information about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyirbal_language

Zhyler's noun class system is described here:

http://dedalvs.com/zhyler/nclasses.html

The 17 classes are as follows:

I: Humans (general)
II: Hairy land animals
III: Flying non-insects
IV: Sea creatures
V: Humans (titled)
VI: Tall plants and other tall things
VII: Natural non-sensient phenomena
VIII: Hairless land animals
IX: Insects
X: Small plants and things that run along the ground
XI: Places, concepts, emotions
XII: Manmade liftable objects
XIII: Manmade unliftable objects
XIV: Actions and abstract notions
XV: Substances
XVI: Parts of things
XVII: Food

Dothraki also has a kind of noun class system, dividing all
words into animate and inanimate, but perhaps it's better
understood as a gender system... I'm not sure if there's really
a difference between a gender system and a noun class
system, but it certainly acts more like something like Spanish
than something like Swahili.

-David
"Sunlü eleškarez ügrallerüf üjjixelye ye oxömeyze."

-Jim Morrison

http://dedalvs.com/

LCS Member Since 2007
http://conlang.org/