On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 14:22:44 -0700, Douglas Treadwell
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Nika,
>
>I've come up with something that probably isn't as good as it could be, but
I think is an improvement.  You can check it out at
www.dougtreadwell.com/calculish.htm.  I came up with something that shortens
the verbalization of calculus by about half.  I'm thinking about
de-optimizing it though.  The suffixes sound somewhat similar and it might
be a bit better to change the vowels or the endings so they sound more
distinct.  For example, "wis" could be "wish", and then the vowels could be
changed randomly to give them distinctness.  Anyway, give me your thoughts.

That's a neat approach.  I remember many many years ago thinking of (but
never developing) something a little similar, but using rhymes instead of
onsets for the variables -- I don't remember which variables were in the
stuff I was playing with but most of them were among aefhilmnorsuxy, so I
could just affix some consonants to the front of the letter-name and get a
good concise syllable.  Maybe that would help with your "de-optimisation":
onset consonants are generally easier to hear the difference between than
coda consonants.

That said, you might well be able to get away with discarding the difference
of notation between univariate and partial derivatives, and if you want to
use some kind of multivariate total derivative giving it the different
representation.

Maybe this isn't so interesting to point out now anymore, but there are
shorter standard notations for the derivative: Lagrange's f' (though that
doesn't specify the variable ... but would your Calculish benefit from some
sort of default variable?), or the differential operator notation D_x f.

Alex