On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 7:48 PM, Alex Fink <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> There's a hoary old line in the list
> FAQ, added by Henrik back in July 2006 when it was first assembled,
> that says
>  * OT: should not be used, use CHAT instead as some software had
> problems with 'OT'
> Does anyone remember which software this was, and -- more to the point
> -- is it still a relevant problem?

I wonder whether the software in question was something by Microsoft;
for some reason, Microsoft mail clients like to localise tags, using
not "Re:" (originally, I am told, from the Latin ablative of re:s,
i.e. "concerning the thing/topic", but apparenty reinterpreted by MS
as short for the English word "Reply" or "response") and "Fwd:" but,
depending on the language the software was installed for, other
abbreviations such as "AW:" or "WG:" (for German: from "Antwort",
reply, and "Weitergeleitet", forwarded).

So I wonder whether it would recognise all two-letter capitalised
abbreviations as "possibly produced by a localised version of
Outlook/whatever", i.e. as metadata (more or less), rather than as
part of the text content of the subject.

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>