On Jun 13, 2010, at 1◊34 PM, David McCann wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-06-13 at 11:11 -0700, David Peterson wrote:
>
>> Let's examine a test case, though. Let's say you have a noun /bas/ and
>> that fricatives voice intervocalically, giving you:
>>
>> [bas] (nominative)
>> [baza] (accusative)
>>
>> If you do this phonetically, you have what you have above. If you do it
>> phonemically, then you have "basa" for the accusative. What does that
>> buy you?
>
> Probably higher reading speeds; fully literate people recognise words
> rather than spelling them out.

"Baza"'s still a word; I don't see your point.

Also, this isn't the orthography: It's just the romanization. Presumably
if there were something lengthy, it'd be written in the orthography,
and not in the romanization.

-David
"Sunlü eleškarez ügrallerüf üjjixelye ye oxömeyze."

-Jim Morrison

http://dedalvs.com/

LCS Member Since 2007
http://conlang.org/