Very unoriginal here, I'm adapting a sort of noun-class system into my
conlang from the algonquian language family.  These languages have an
animate/inanimate split that is reflected in verb morphology and even to
the extent to commonly having different roots for animate vs inanimate
objects.  However, they also do something else which you might be more
interested in.  These languages have about 150 of what are called medials,
meaning a morpheme that goes between basic inflection and the root of the
verb.  Although some of them provide addition grammatical info, a lot of
them are basically a noun class system, but only marked for in verbs.
They are used a lot more in more formal registers of speech.

Some of them mark for specific objects, like woman, dog, horse, canoe,
eggs, and a lot more - others mark for the instrument of the action, like
most parts of the body, but there's a good subsection that is basically a
noun class system.  Here they are:

metal/stone
wood
liquid
group/place
string/elongated

and some others likely depending on the language.
You can add as many as you want, but I just like the idea of basically
having a verb-based noun-class system, and one that's flexible/optional
depending on register.

-dale-