Garth Wallace wrote:

> quoting me:
>> To atone for his crime, Wirnos went on to form his brother's
>> corpse into a world, turning his flesh to soil, bones to rock,
>> blood to water, hair into forests, the nose into a mountain, the
>> eyes into lakes, the kidney into copper, the liver into iron and
>> the intestine into the big worm who digs in the earth, shakes it
>> and breathes fire.
>
> Are they close to the Germanic branch? I see a variation of the Ymir
> myth in there, I believe.

Yes, those are the closest relatives. Jemios in fact is a cognate to
Ymir. There are several other cognates, too. Dius = Tr (and Zeus,
Jupiter, etc.) Utonos = inn, for example.

>> As you can see, the more primeval titanic gods are still part of
>> the Olympic pantheon, so it seems the Urianians don't believe in a
>> rebellion against them. Rather it's reduced to a brotherly
>> squibble about a game of virdos.
>> That sets them apart from other Indoeuropeans, I guess.
>
> Didn't that take the form of the Aesir/Vanir or Asura/Deva splits
> elsewhere?

Yes, and the Greeks have a threefold split.

However, they kept the Titan names for the weekdays, and perhaps the
Urianian simplification is just superficial, too. I know the main
gods from the calendar, but I don't know the myths describing any
rebellion against them. Perhaps some day I will discover them and
find out that the real main gods are different.

About Wirnos, it is very near at hand to conclude that he is some
kind of friend to mankind, protecting them against the unkind gods,
giving them fire and such things. But I risk infringing the Greek
copyright laws...

Den 14. jun. 2010 kl. 18.59 skreiv Jrg Rhiemeier:

> Yes.  Account this to the fact that the culture of the Elves serves
> to express my personal feelings about the meaning of life and the
> human condition.  Also, I won't deny that it is influenced by the
> religion of Tolkien's Elves.

I have put emphasis on realism in the Urianian religion, though I
could not help introducing a few ideas on my own. But as for the
Suraetua, their religion is strongly influenced by my thinking on how
things should be as well. They are a once warlike race who at some
time turned pacifist and non-expansive for some reason. I think it is
because they were matriarchal from the start, and their female
leaders at some point used their power to institute sustainability
reforms. However, the society is not without tension. They have
military defense against Urianian and other pirates and settled
Urianians raiding their farms and towns, and the soldiers uphold the
old traditions from the time of internal warfare and sing the old
songs celebrating the great warriors of old. Visits from Phoenician
traders also is a source of impulses for people who want to challenge
the established order.

They don't worship gods, but revere the powers of nature and the
mind. There are sects and more or less secret societies taking
rituals and enchantments a little further than the rest, and there is
tension between these too and the society in general.

LEF