In Shoshoni the coronal affricate /ts/ is regularly palatalized following
the front vowels [i, e]. The Fort Hall (Idaho) orthography captures this
regular allophonic process. Cross-cutting palatalization are other
consonantal processes, so you never actually see plain [tʃ]; instead, you
see lenited or geminated versions. Here are some examples (given first in
<orthographic>, then [broad phonetic] and finally /phonemic/ forms):

<bizhi> [piʒi] /pitsi/ 'breast'
<moozo> [moːzo] /moːtso/ 'whiskers'

<guchu> [kuttʃu] /kuittsu/ 'cow'
<hutsi> [huttsi] /huttsi/ 'FaMo'

<dawinja> [tawindʒa] /tawintsa/ 'ankle'
<baanzuugu> [paːndzuːɣu] /paːntsuːku/ 'otter'

The orthography developed for Western Shoshoni and Goshute is more strictly
phonemic. In fact, all of the phonemic forms given above are the
orthographic forms, with the exception that lengthened vowels are written
with doubled vowels (e.g. mootso, paantsuuku).

Dirk