On 6/27/10 7:58 AM, Lars Finsen wrote:
> Den 26. jun. 2010 kl. 21.09 skreiv Lee:
>
>> Is it more an indication of emphasis?
>>
>> (a) I haven't used Firefox.
>>
>> (b) I've never used Firefox.
>>
>> (c) I've not used Firefox.
>>
>> To me, (b) implies a stronger negative than a simple "not." Although
>> (c) is grammatical, I don't know many people who would use that version.*
>
> Well, to me, (a) and (b) differ more in the time or context aspect than
> the emphasis aspect. The speaker of (a) could have used Firefox after
> all, just not in the given context. I feel (c) is a more emphatic
> version of (a), but still waterproof only within the context. What about

That's what I'd say.  "never" is really just "not+ever" adding an
aspectual component to an alreay negative statement.

> (d) I haven't ever used Firefox. ...?
>
> A more emphatic version of (b), perhaps.

I wouldn't say more empahatic, but a shift in emphasis to the word
"ever", and maybe lessening the emphasis of "not" to a very slight degree.

> Just my non-native 2 øre.

I think I still have some of those somewhere, along with a krone or two.