> Well, /ɣ/ was the only phoneme I was really bringing up, mainly
> because I look at words like "daq" [daɣ] (="day") and the <q> just
> doesn't look "right" in my own mind for what I'm trying to do.   My
> leanings right now are to make it G-hacek, and retain <q> as it's
> ASCII alternative form.  Maybe I should sit and write out some sample
> texts with the alternatives until one of them feels right.  The
> phoneme itself occurs mostly in final or medial positions.
>
>     daǧ  /  daǥ  /  daq  /  daȝ

What is the distribution of the phoneme /g/? Does it mostly occur in
initial positions? If yes, and if you're willing to make the script a
bit more complex, you could have <g> represent /g/ in initial
positions, and /ɣ/ in medial or final positions. Then, if /g/ occurs
medially or finally, or if /ɣ/ occurs initially, you use one of the
diacritic forms, or maybe <gh> or something like it if you're willing
to use a digraph. Does <dag> seem right for /daɣ/?