On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 17:19:03 +0200, Kjell Rehnstr?&#246;m <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I guess everything lies in motivation.
>
>In Sweden the young generation start lerning English in grade/form 3.
>They are supposed to learn German and French as well, later, in what is
>highschool in the US. The languages mentioned are declining. There is an
>encreasing interest in Chinese.
>
>The system of grades (marks) seams to lead to the pupils selecting the
>easy subjects so that they can score high grades / marks in order to be
>admitted to the prestigious schools and universitites. Languages demand
>too much work for many and therefore they chose to take easy courses
>that give the best marks. They are trying to change that situation.
>
>I suspect that another reason why young people don't learn any more
>foreign language  as the "school languages" are called  is that when
>they come to Germany or France they will meet young people who speak
>more or less as good English as they themselves. And given that their
>German and French is a little bit shake  as they don't meet these
>language as much as English  people will prefer speaking English to
>them. I have had similar experiences and I suppose this can be a more
>general experience.
>
>In any of the languages Esperanto, Ido, Interlingua,
>Occidental/Interlingua a normal pupil can achieve fluency in a fraction
>of the time needet to learn e.g. English. Provided the teacher or the
>material is good enough.

And also with the constructed language ,there will be no mistakes with the
pronunciation.
For example if you pronounced a national language without accuracy then that
would be a mistake ,because there are native speakers who pronounce the
language in the standard way. The problem is that the national language itself
evolved while the older pronunciations would be considered wrong.
In the constructed languages that have no native speakers you can have many
variations in pronunciation as long as you are completely understood. Nobody
will say that you have mistaken in pronouncing a d like a t. If somebody
pronounced walked as walk-ed and not walk/t/ then that would be a mistake
,because there are millions of native speakers who pronounce it in the later
way. While in a conlang that has no native speakers you are more free
,because it's your language.

>I learnt good Esperanto without the help of any teacher. As a metter of
>fact the teachers were not encourageing the learning of Esperanto!
>
>English I learnt with a teacher  the ordinary way.

I managed to learn English with the help of the teachers in school and also with
some help from my father who is an English language teacher. I remember my
colleagues, when we were very young at the end of the elementary years of
school, were very amazed by the fact that I am able to say the English letters
from A to N. Really from A to N. They started to talk about my father being an
English teacher. But I remember that I have learned the alphabet from a
cassette in my home that contains some children songs including the alphabet
song.

>There are a lot of benefits from an ethnic language like English, but
>they are so obvious that I think I don't have to spell them out here and
>now.

How did you support a planned auxlang then? Catch him! A secret natlanger :-)

The same thing would be said by Arabic language supporters, chinese language
supporters...etc. You can hear an Arab talking about his language until you
surrender.
All the national languages have advatages seen from some points of view.  And
many of these advantages can be transfered into the conlang after its spread.
I know of course that English now has much more clear advantages than
Esperanto ,but many of these advatages can be obtained by Esperanto once it
becomes spoken as a world language.

Zein.