--- In [log in to unmask], Stephen Rice <ansrith@...> wrote:

> On 8/11/10, lingwadeplaneta <lingwadeplaneta@...> wrote:
> >
> > With gods, it's difficult. While in some languages "deva" or smth similar
> > refers to celestials, in Zoroastrianism it means evil creatures. We are used
> > to "devil" being a devil but in Gypsy "devel" means god. In Hinduism
> > "asuras" are demons but in Zoroastrianism it's vice versa. In Slavic
> > mythology divy are evil creatures. The Hindi "divana", probably from the
> > Persian "div" , means "crazy, obsessed". What word to take for "god"? If you
> > take "Allah", Arabs will support you, but what about others?
>
> I'm not sure Arabs would: "Allah" is not just any god to them; Allah
> is God. It would be like using Yahweh for Jews and Christians.

A good point.

> LdP uses "boh"
> > which isn't noticed to mean demons elsewhere and is akin to Hindi's
> > bhagavan.
> >
> I wondered why it was "boh" instead of "bog" (I know how it's
> pronounced, yes).

nouns tend to end in -k -p -t -h but not in -g -b -d.

>See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobog for other
> views...

Chernobog (Black god) is not a devil, it is a god which punishes the evil and thus restores the law. Look at Woland in Bulgakov's Master and Margarita. Bulgakov names him Satan but in fact he doesn't do any evil things, on the contrary he restores justice and punishes bad people. It's the function of Chernobog.