On 23 August 2010 02:42, Calculator Ftvb <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On 12 August 2010 23:06, MorphemeAddict <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > But of course, "quote" is also a noun.
> >
> > Hmmm? What context? I've only heard it as a verb (to quote someone).

From http://www.thefreedictionary.com/quote:
*n.*
*1. * *Informal* A quotation.
*2. * A quotation mark.
*3. * Used by a speaker to indicate the beginning of a quotation.
*4. * A dictum; a saying.

It adds a note:
*Usage Note: * People have been using the noun *quote* as a truncation of *
quotation* for over 100 years, and its use in less formal contexts is
widespread today. Language critics have objected to this usage, however, as
unduly journalistic or breezy. As such, it is best avoided in more formal
situations. The Usage Panel, at least, shows more tolerance for the word as
the informality of the situation increases. Thus, only 38 percent of
Panelists accept the example *He began the chapter with a quote from the
Bible,* but the percentage rises to 53 when the source of the quotation is
less serious: *He lightened up his talk by throwing in quotes from Marx
Brothers movies.*

I've also seen it used a lot in expressions like "sales quote" when someone
wants to buy a series of products and/or services and wants to see a price
statement first. At my work we call those documents "quotes", and it's a
very widespread vocabulary item.
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/