On Aug 23, 2010, at 8:16 PM, Patrick Dunn wrote:

> A friend of mine asked me what I know about the development of early
> Spanish because he is developing a theory as to the dating of El Cid,
> and I had to tell him "precious little."  Is there a resource I can
> direct him to?  He's well educated in the physical sciences, so a
> technical book on the early development of Spanish wouldn't be beyond
> him.

I don't know how the different books compare, but I find _From Latin to Spanish_ by Paul Lloyd (in English) and _Curso de gramática historica española_ by T. A. Lathrop (in Spanish) interesting.

(I'm not sure, but I think the latter may be a translation of Lathrop's _The evolution of Spanish_. I've only read the Spanish version, but the English one has been updated more recently.)