Thanks Syd, this really does open up a tin of annelids...

1. David's example returns an <lg> in the TEI namespace, so you probably
don't want to wrap the <xi:include> *inside* an <lg>

2. I'm not sure in what sense "the semantics are defined for you" with
xInclude: it seems to me that the semantics are precisely NOT defined
(if by "semantics" we mean the element type) by xinclude, which is why
it's useful for filling in bits of a structure in stand-off mode.

3. @copyOf has the interesting property that whatever is returned by its
target replaces the element which carries it; hence (a) what is returned
must be an well formed element (b) its semantics (tagname) are explicit
in the document -- surely a good thing!

4. The fallback mechanism of xi:include is useful, certainly, but I'm
not sure how helpful it is in the general case. If the pointer to the
resource you need is broken, in general no amount of falling back is
going to help you. Presumably though a fallback in xi:include does
permit you to supply another xi:include e.g. to go and try another location?