Dear Andrew,

While your encoding with Martin's suggestion makes perfect sense, what you are describing is a perfect case of 'marked as used'.

The Manuscripts SIG is working on a new TEI module to encode modern manuscripts and genetic editions.
You might want to look at it at:

http://www.tei-c.org/SIG/Manuscripts/genetic.html

In this module we include an element <used/> to encode this precise form of 'deletion'. If you want more details about the module drop me a line.

Cheers
Elena

Sent from my iPhone