If this were my project we would just be using × (U+00D7 MULTIPLICATION SIGN). Using an × for 'per' is common in informal Italian; I see it in informal writing all the time, though yours is the oldest thing I've seen it in (but it's not an area I read much). In my opinion the fact that it's curly and connected is just a side effect of its being written in cursive. You're not encoding the curly ascender on the d in "da'", and neither need you encode the curly connector of the strokes of the ×. That is, of course, the "Is Your Journey Really Necessary?" step at http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/WD.html#WDNE . The Unicode Consortium would certainly not think it warranted to add "cursive multiplication sign".

But that doesn't answer your encoding question.

If all of my colleagues insisted that it wasn't just × and so I lost the argument, I would copy this example from the docs at http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/WD.html#D25-30:

<!-- in the charDecl -->
<glyph xml:id="per">
 <glyphName>MULTIPLICATION SIGN IN CURSIVE</glyphName>
 <figure>
  <graphic url="per.png"/>
 </figure>
</glyph>

And use it like this:

  <g ref="#per">per</g>
 </abbr> se stesso, e <abbr>
  <g ref="#per">per</g>
 </abbr> venirmi da'…</p>

But of course I really think you should use ×.

O.