On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 5:08 AM, Jim Henry <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I used wget to preserve a fair number of conlang websites[*] from
> Geocities shortly before it went down.

Yes, I was a victim of Yahoo's "service upgrade" when Geocities was
deleted.  I couldn't figure out, or rather didn't have accesss to a computer
where I could download the necessaries to use wget.  Some kind soul here did
it for me and emailed me a copy, which I then lost due to a worm my
thumbdrive picked up from a computer in the teachers' workroom at the
college where I was then working.  The conlang content was skimpy -- a
number of poorly documented languages in first-try HTML, but I also lost
some other content, poetry and, well to tell the truth, I'm not even sure
what genealogy, photographs, interesting gifs and jpgs I'd used for
backgrounds, etc.  I bear Yahoo quite a grudge.

> * -- Specifically, I have offline copies of these sites - most of them
> Geocities sites that are no longer available, though some have since
> been recreated elsewhere:
>
> adelic
> ceqli
> conlang archives 1991-1993

I keep meaning to make available some archives I have from my earliest days
on the list.  It is mostly my own posts and replies thereto, but also some
threads I just found interesting for whatever reason.

> didier_willis
> estel_telcontar

ilomi

Now there's a blast from the past!  I remember all three of those names.

> james_chandler
> konya
> laopooh_relay4
> michael_repton  (zarathustra47)
> taruven

Oh and Taruven.  I think I may have even translated from Tauruven in a relay
once.

> voksigid  (Bruce Gilson has since recreated it elsewhere)
>
> --
> Jim Henry
> http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/

Wow, I must be getting old to be this nostalgic about days gone by on