Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets wrote:
> On 2 September 2010 02:53, Dale McCreery
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> In Michif we have quite a few words for and, I think we
>> use different ones depending on whether we're
>> coordinating clauses or NPs, but I notice that a lot of
>> the situations we actually use the word for 'also', as
>> in 'A miina B miina C'...
>>

> In Greek, και means both "and" and "also, too".

Ancient καί had the same range of meanings also. But as just
_and_ it lives on in Esperanto's _kaj_   :)

> There's
> no other word that means "and" in the language (at least
> not in Modern Greek, I don't know about Ancient Greek or
> Koine).

The ancient language also had the enclitic τε which was
cognate with Latin -que (PIE /k_w/ became /t/ before front
vowels in Greek).  It could be used just like Latin -que,
i.e. as an enclitic on the _second_ item, e.g.
θνητὰ ἀθάνατά τε /t_he:tà at_hánatå te/
mortal and immortal things   [Plato]

More commonly, however, it was used with _both_ items, e.g.
ἀνδρῶν τε θεῶν τε /andrôn te t_heôn te/
of men and of gods    [Homer, Iliad]

In the Classical period it was commonly used with the first
item only with καί being used before the second, e.g.
νῦν τε καὶ πάλαι  /nŷn te kaì pálai/
now and formerly   [Sophokles]

--
Ray