On Sun, 5 Sep 2010 18:35:02 +0200, taliesin the storyteller
wrote:

>Support for describing exactly which sounds a (spoken) language has is
>being added to CALS. The phoneme-data is from UPSID at
>
>	http://web.phonetik.uni-frankfurt.de/upsid.html
>
>but UPSID was before unicode and used ASCII symbols and not very ipa-ish
>descriptions of the sounds. Thus, it has been necessary to figure out
>which UPSID ASCII symbol goes with which IPA symbol.
>
>This is where help is needed! Stop by the sound-lab at
>
>	http://cals.conlang.org/sound/
>
>and comment (you'll need to log in) on those sounds whose IPA symbols or
>descriptions are off, or missing.

Is it OK if I comment here? I only have one quick note: UPSID contains
several "mid vowel" and "dental/alveolar" entries. These should generally
not be understood as entities distinct from mid-close & mid-open, and dental
& alveolar sounds, but cover symbols that can be either (and can be used
when the exact phonetics are not known).

John Vertical