Am 23.09.2010 15:43, schrieb Daniel Nielsen:
> I need something that will allow overlapping
> characters, spaced by a user-defined horizontal spacing (that may be
> positive or negative)

I tried that for my own script, which as an abugida comes with loads of
diacritics. However, while positive horizontal spacing is probably not
much of a problem (just make empty characters and assign them different
widths), negative spacing is. Backward spacing worked fine in several
Windows versions of Firefox and Open Office, but does not seem to work
on Ubuntu generally in the same applications even, since its type engine
I would expect to be more standard-compliant than that of Windows, and
negative spacing is not how things are usually done. You might try to
solve the problem with kerning instead, if the script is linear
otherwise. For custom and more complex glyph assembly behaviours
Graphite is probably really the most viable solution, because the
support for OpenType still seems to leave something to be desired in
many aspects. Since you mentioned LaTeX, XeTeX is supposed to support
OpenType, so you might as well try and go that route.

Carsten