On 21/09/2010 15:16, Jörg Rhiemeier wrote:
[snip]
> OnTue, 21 Sep 2010 10:56:06 +0100, R A Brown wrote:
>
>> Yep - it doesn't seem to me that this small ethnic
>> group would impinge much, if at all, on the history of
>> the world at large. Rather one wonders if they would
>> have survived any more than IE-speaking Tocharians
>> did. But that's another matter.
>
> Yes. While the survival of Latin in a mercenary garrison
> in western China is not very likely, it is at least not
> impossible.

One of the main problems, as I see it, is that Roman
soldiers captured by Parthians and ending up as mercenaries
in western China will all be _men_. If they want to produce
progeny they will have take wives or lovers from native
population; in such situations surely the mother's language
is most likely to be the L1 of the children.  If Latin is to
take root firmly it seems to me that the Parthians would
need to include a goodly number of female camp followers
(i.e. prostitutes & mistresses - legionaries were not allow
to marry) together with the soldiers and for the whole lot -
men and woman - to end up together in that garrison in
western China.

> And what regards Tocharian - who says it was dead in the
> LLL?

True. Now just where have those Tocharians finished up?

--
Ray