Jörg Rhiemeier wrote:

>> [...]
>>> Indeed, indeed! There is not a shred of evidence for the
>>> existence of any of the Insular Celtic peculiarities
>>> (VSO word order, initial mutations, profusion of spirants
>>> from the lenition of stops, etc.) in Gaulish, Lepontic
>>> or Celtiberian! These languages are much more similar to
>>> Latin in their structure than they are to Insular
>>> Celtic.
>>
>> Absolutely - yet if a conlang occurs that purports to be a
>> survival of a Continental Celtic language, what's the
>> betting it will have most, if not all, of these features!
>
> The only Continental Celtic conlang I am aware of is Dan Jones's
> Arvorec, and it *does* have all those features.  Sigh.

Well, it's supposed to! :D Arvorec came about in response to the
elimination of the Brythonic languages in Ill Bethisad, and so was
*supposed* to be a fairly typical Insular-style language.
Interestingly, Ranko Matasovic makes a case that all these typically
"Celtic" features present in the modern Insular languages are the
result of intensive language contact during the late Dark Ages: the
Insular languages essentially forming a Sprachbund. Using this theory
to reverse-engineer a more linguistically sound justification for
Arvorec's "Insularity", I could say that the language acquired all
these features as a result of intensive language contact with Ireland
and Britain shortly after its speakers settled the islands in the
British Sea.

That's not to say, of course, that I wouldn't do it differently if I
were to revise the conlang today: I know a lot more now about Celtic
philology than I did back then. Certain traits I might dispense with,
particularly VSO word order.

> AFAIK, Stonehenge was already disused and in ruins when the Romans
> came to Britain.  And what regards the neopagans: what they do has
> very little, if anything, to do with the beliefs of the actual
> pre-Christian Celts!  There is nothing attractive about the cynical,
> warlike deities of the ancient Celts craving blood sacrifices and
> all that.

I dunno, I've always found it pretty attractive ;o)

Dan