On 26/09/2010 13:29, Deiniol Jones

Jörg:

Me:
>>> Absolutely - yet if a conlang occurs that purports to be a
>>> survival of a Continental Celtic language, what's the
>>> betting it will have most, if not all, of these features!

Jörg:
>> The only Continental Celtic conlang I am aware of is Dan
>> Jones's
>> Arvorec, and it *does* have all those features. Sigh.

Deiniol:
  > Well, it's supposed to! :D Arvorec came about in
response to
> the elimination of the Brythonic languages in Ill Bethisad,
> and so was *supposed* to be a fairly typical Insular-style
> language. Interestingly, Ranko Matasovic makes a case that
> all these typically "Celtic" features present in the modern
> Insular languages are the result of intensive language
> contact during the late Dark Ages:

Yes, I've always thought, at least in case of the Brythonic
languages, that these changes dis not occur until after the
Roman period.

But I can go along with a Celtic language on the fringe, as
it were, of Britain exhibiting many, if not all, of these
features.  What I was thinking of was some Celti-conlang in,
say southern Gaul, north-west Spain, or maybe along the
Danube or even a survival in some remote part of Anatolia of
the ancient Galatian language.

I can just imagine someone thinking: "What if Galatian had
continued to spoken? It was a Celtic language, so my
neo-Galatian will have to have initial consonant mutations etc."

--
Ray