Hallo!

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 17:49:48 +0100, R A Brown wrote:

>  On 22/09/2010 16:25, And Rosta wrote:
>  >  Am I, I wonder, the only one who feels a (literal)
>  >  twinge of nausea at seeing this conlang sample? It would
>  >  be most unfair to take my reaction to be any kind of
>  >  just judgement of the conlang, but I find it interesting
>  >  that a conlang can excite such a visceral response.
>
>  You are not alone - tho I wouldn't describe my reaction as
>  nausea. But it is certainly an absolute turn-off.

Yes.  Not really nauseating, but it gives away its nature as a
poor Tolkien rip-off.

>  >  I suspect one ingredient of the revulsion is simply the
>  >  dreary familiarity of its soundscape, and another
>  >  ingredient is revulsion at anything that appears to
>  >  travesty the ((IMO) rightly) sacred Tolkien.
>
>  Quite so - IMO it's a poor imitation of Tolkien.  Why do
>  people do it? JRRT was a master craftsman who spent years
>  perfecting his craft; then these, to me and And at least,
>  travesties come along     :(

I would not sanctify Tolkien (that is a concept I cannot win off
much, personally), but I respect him deeply as the greatest
master of our art - however, *respecting* a past master is one
thing, *imitating* him is another matter entirely.

I once worked on a language based on Sindarin, it was named
"Nur-ellen".  That one, however, was imitative in a different
way - it was meant to represent a *descendant* of Sindarin.
But in hindsight, I must say that what I did back then, was a
horrible disservice to the beauty of Sindarin, and it was more
than wise to scrap it.

In my current main project, Old Albic, I no longer try to
imitate Tolkien, even if he and his conlangs still are a major
source of inspiration for me.  Yet, I think I have found *my own*
style in Old Albic, and there is much in it that has nothing
to do with Quenya or Sindarin.

>  [...]
>
>  'Celtic-like' and 'spells' also, I'm afraid, also turn me
>  off. I agree 100% with JRRT when he wrote:
>  "'Celtic' of any sort is, nonetheless, a magic bag, into
>  which anything may be put, and out of which almost anything
>  may come. ... Anything is possible in the fabulous Celtic
>  twilight, which is not so much a twilight of the gods as of
>  the reason."
>
>  Amen! Amen!

Oh yes, there are lots of bogus ideas about the Celts in
circulation.  Surely, there are fascinating things about the
Celts; the Insular Celtic languages are among the IMHO most
interesting European languages, mostly by way of doing so many
things differently than most of the major languages of Europe.
But all that stuff about the Celts possessing a "higher wisdom"
or whatever is utter crap.

>  >>  Nésadach anadi duidon! Nésadach anadi galadon!
>  >>  Nésadach ôni anadi ellidon ei odeidon, ei deinach ôni
>  >>  uilé riholem éireamhóinen!
>
>  Ach y fi!

It resembles a mishmash of Irish and Sindarin, but the sugar
coating is so thick that one cannot make out the cake beneath it!
It would not surprise me if that sample turned out to be
meaningless gibberish rather than an actual conlang with a
well-defined grammar and lexicon.

--
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf