On 08/10/2010 07:31, Mario Bonassin wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I need some advice.  I want to create a conlang based around a list of names
> and some other very limited data.
>
> example Male names
> Kaerishiel
> Duardlon
>
> -el and -dlon are masculine endings
>
> Female Name
> Dardlara
> Emraeal
>
> -al and -dlara are feminine endings

It appears that -el and -al have the same underlying meaning, but with
the two forms being conditioned by gender. The same applies to -dlon and
-dlara.

Therefore, we can generalise that a word with a masculine form ending in
-eC will have a feminine form ending in -ac, whereas one ending where
the masculine form ends in -on will have a feminine form in -ara

> name of an organization
> Shin’rakorath means Lantern bearers.

Shin' means latern, from a triconsonantal root /S-n-?/ that refers to
concepts related to light, and the pattern 1i23 meaning "tool".

/r-k-r/ is a root related to carrying things. From this we can obtain
the agent form "rakro" meaning "carrier", and then transform that into
the collective form "rakorath".

> There is many more than that and some names don't always fit the same
> pattern, ie Quais, but you get the idea.
>
> So basically what would be a good way to reverse engineer this. Perhaps
> those of you that did stuff with the Dothraki language can chime in.
>
> Is it pretty much use the roots of the names as a base vocab for the most part
> and just create new words using their structure?  or is there some other way I
> can go about it?

The roots you can get with your names include

/k-r-S/ This occurs with the pattern 1ae2i3i and the masculine
nominaliser -el
/d-r/ or possibly /d-H-r/ where H is some consonant that was present in
an ancestral language but has since been lost.
This occurs with the patterns 1u2a3 and 1a23 (or possibly 12a3) and the
-dlon and -dlara nominalisers.
/m-r-H/ which occurs with the pattern e12a3e and the -al nominaliser.
and
/k_w-H-s/ which occurs with 1a2a3.

Whether or not your name has a nominaliser suffix, and which one you
get, probably had some social relevance at one point (although it may
have lost it by modern times).

Pete