I'm intrigued that nobody suggested this (or anything similar), but I find
the following resource remarkably useful in knowing how various IPA (and
thus, SAMPA, XSAMPA, and CXS) letters are pronounced.  I wouldn't know many
of the more obscure sounds if not for this stuff:

http://www.paulmeier.com/ipa/consonants.html
http://www.paulmeier.com/ipa/vowels.html
http://www.paulmeier.com/ipa/nonpulmonics.html
http://www.paulmeier.com/ipa/diacritics.html
http://www.paulmeier.com/ipa/suprasegmentals.html
http://www.paulmeier.com/ipa/diphthongs.html
http://www.paulmeier.com/ipa/othersymbols.html

And finally, to make transcription into an ASCII character set possible, I
suggest the following site to go from IPA letters, diacritics, and other
modifiers, to Conlang's special variant of XSAMPA:

http://www.theiling.de/ipa/

Fundamentally, playing around with the above sites should be a great help to
anyone trying to learn IPA, so that you actually represent your sounds in a
neutral environment, rather than the very dialect centric concepts of word
examples from English and other languages.

I am sure other conlangers may have additional sources of audio for
different IPA characters, to further clarify the sounds represented.