2010/10/20 Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets <[log in to unmask]>

> On 20 October 2010 08:16, John Lategan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>

> > I dont think its parallel because "se" doesn't resemble any Afrikaans
> > pronoun.
> > Hy, hom, sy = he, him, his ; Sy, haar, haar = She, her, her
> >
> I've read it was just an unstressed form of "sy", which got generalised to
> all genders and numbers as a possessive marker. Is that so unrealistic?
> (also, saying "se" doesn't resemble any Afrikaans pronoun is a bit
> exaggerated. The difference between "se" and "sy" is only one vowel!)

Ok. Vowels. Fair enough. Point taken.

> "Ze" is just an unstressed form of "zij". Why can't "se" be an unstressed
> form of "sy", in the same way?

Because its accepted, even grammatical in Dutch, but not at all in
Afrikaans. Ever.
(in Afrikaans Jy, Hy, Sy are unstressed. J, H, S are stresed : )

I still think - looking at other Germanic constructions and considering the
time of Afrikaans' birth - that this was probably something the Dutch
brought along with them, rather than a separate/parallel development.

And Afrikaans has lost all case distiction anyway (except "subject" and
"object" in pronouns, as in English). It doesn't even do the "der dem
den des" in articles like German (and less commonly in Dutch)

JOHN