On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 11:34:54 -0600, Stephen Rice <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
(sorry for the snips ..... but I try to limit the size of my posts)
>There are considerable differences. However, I've seen auxlangs
>derived from TP before, so it was my first reaction.
I don't mind fairlang being likened to TP, quite to the contrary. But I
don't think it is very similar.
>The hVngV words are effectively VCV. I think if I wanted a non-letter
>like that, I'd use an apostrophe. In any case, if the <h> is supposed
>to prevent CVhV from collapsing into CV, shouldn't it also prevent
>diphthongs such as lahi > lai (apparently a monosyllable)?
hVngV is allowed and reserved for verbal voices because ng is not an initial
so that it is clear that hV is not an empty word and ngV is not the first
syllable of a following word. It keeps the boundaries of any word
identifiable. CVV is a pb only where the 2 V are the same (e.g. laha
"mouth") and could be pronounced la(a). Lai is fine because the 2 vowels
keep being pronounced. I thought of apostrophe too but h is a "natural
apostrophe" for French and Spanish (aha! ohé! ahi etc.) while an apostrophe
btwn 2 vowels would puzzle most. But I prefer apostrophes too.
>But if "Many people have a hard time pronouncing an initial "ng"," why
>have it even in a medial CV syllable?
Because most people can pronounce it OK when "resting" on a previous vowel.
For example French TV commentators pronounce the name Ngoma (of a famous
African soccer player) "Enn-goma" but have no pb saying "bingo!".
>It would be better to remember a little more than that.
I doubt that apart from a few auxlangers anybody will ever spend enough time
for that with an a priori "non-historical" IAL wannabe, unless it claims
therapeutic purpose, piraha primitivism, bahai meshiahnity or what else :)
'Doesn't bother me either.
>But most Christians probably accept the "endless duration" idea.
I am still not sure whether making an IAL is OK with God. As French linguist
Claude Hagege puts it, auxlangers are ultimately rebels who may ignore it
(Nimrod = "We shall rebel"). In doubt I am definitely satisfied that my
creations will never work as IALs.
>Thank you. And I forgot to mention earlier that it has great aesthetic appeal.
>
>Steve
Thank you bcs I value aesthetics too (I lay little hope on the useful side)
while keeping in mind that what someone likes puts off another. I use this
language as an artlang with 2 other different phonologies: an
"Australianish" one (b, l and s become p, r and j) and a "Pacifickish" one
(b, l and s become v, r and h).
AA