On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Olivier Simon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> I remember Spanish "pasear" from "paseo" = "walk"
>
>Yes, the verb is pase/ar, where -ar is the regular Spanish verb ending.  So,
to form a verb in Spanglish why don't you just add -ar to the English verb?
This ending -ear appears to be unique to Spanglish, which may mark it out as
a distinct language.

I don't think so; I don't speak fluent Spanish, but in the "good language" (let's
call it "Castilian"), there are verbs ending in "ear".
In the Spanglish samples, we find "parquear", "chequear" and "taipear", all
loanwords from English. However, "parque" and "cheque" already exist in
Castilian. "taipe" apparently not, but it still follows the rules of adaptation of
loanwords into Castilian where no word can end with "p" nor "c" or "k"; you
have always to add "e" at the end. So "tank" is""tanque" in Spanish.

The thing here about those examples is that the regular verbs in Spanish have these endings: '-ar', '-er', '-ir'. That's it.

The examples are not 'regular' Spanish, since 'parque' means 'park' as in 'an open area for recreation', but the verb 'parquear' is an anglicism (is that right, anglicism? It's anglicismo in Spanish) and comes from the English verb 'to park'.  'Cheque' means 'check', as in 'a signed piece of paper worth money' (yes, the definitions are mine, made up just now), but the verb 'chequear' (also written 'checar') comes from 'to check' (as in 'check that out'). 'Taipear' comes from 'to type', I think. So those verbs ending with '-ear' are 'imported' from English into a Spanish-like format.

People who use that kind of language, Spanglish, or who code-switch a lot are looked down on by people who speak 'correct' Spanish, at least over here in the California-Baja California border area. People refer to Spanglish speakers as 'pochos' (no idea where that comes from).

I read somewhere of another Spanglish, umm... dialect?, spoken in Gibraltar, mixing English English and Spanish Spanish. It was quite different from the Spanglish I'm used to here.

Ayam.

--
Nac Mac Feegle! Wee Free Men!
Nae King! Nae Quin! Nae Laird! Nae Master!