On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Matthew Turnbull <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I agree that taggers generally will have the same content, even if the
> style is very different.
[snip]
> What language do you figure it might be, based on the surrounding population?

I don't have any real guesses and I don't think surrounding
population's ethnic demographic is a good indicator as it's not close
to a residential center. Around this graffiti we have MIT, Google,
VMWare, Microsoft, Akamai, Biogen, the Broad Institute, the Whitehead
Institute, etc.... In short, there is a very high concentration of
geeks here and not much else (well, there are "normal" people who
convert geek output into cash or make sure the geeks have what they
need to keep outputting). Excluding dorms and one apartment building
the nearest housing areas are primarily white, a little italian, a
smidge of hispanic. You have to go about a mile before you get to the
lower income individuals more commonly associated with tagging (and
there's plenty of graffiti there). There's essentially no graffiti in
Kendal Square.

So, i think the conlang option is actually a fairly viable one
considering high density of young geeks here.

-Kay