On Oct 23, 2010, at 4◊39 PM, Matthew Turnbull wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 9:09 PM, Douglas Koller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> (well, it's basically the letter "x", so I imagine a number of other
>> alphabets have this symbol)

> Yep, I know one of mine does, for /k/ but it hardly ever looks like it,
> since the script is strictly cursive and the letter rarely occurs in
> isolation. A worse correspondence is a <t> shaped sign for /t/...oh well.

The shape "X" seems common enough that it should show up in a
variety of conscripts. I say we start a thread tracking it! So so far we
have:

Zhyler (David Peterson): /l/
? (Matt Turnbull): /k/
Teonaht (Sally Caves): /k/
Géarthnuns (Kou): /tʃ/

And then I can add the following:

Kamakawi (David Peterson): /a/
Sathir (David Peterson): /o/
Njaama (David Peterson): low tone marker
Gweydr (David Peterson): /f/
Sheli (David Peterson): null (vowel carrier)
Tan Tyls (David Peterson): number 7
Sidaan (David Peterson): /o/

I bet we can add a *ton* more to this list.

-David
"Sunlü eleškarez ügrallerüf üjjixelye ye oxömeyze."

-Jim Morrison

http://dedalvs.com/

LCS Member Since 2007
http://conlang.org/