In a class we've all been urged to keep journals and, when explaining what a journal was the workshop leader said "its not like a diary - its a repository of ideas".
I've always imagined a sort of spectrum:

Diary - general everyday events, feelings, etc. "dear diary, today I went and saw..."
Journal - random ideas and things, or more specific events "ninja raptors - good idea?" or "Day 36 - still no sign of the snow leopard"
Log - record of specific events, like on a ship or of weather recordings