> > Many years ago here on the list, I was humorously, deservedly, and
> roundly
> > taken out behind the shed, I remember not by whom, for using an "as in"
> > pronunciation example.

 I use "as in" pronunciations with my IPA transcriptions, because I know
that not everyone reading it will know the IPA, but I always (or at least
try to always) specify my dialect very closely, and then just kinda hope
that everyone knows how a given word is pronounced in South-Manitoban
Prairies Canadian English, sort of a silly assumption, but better than not
saying which dialect. We sound almost like people from Northern Minnesota,
but not quite :(

Personally I had alot less difficulty studying articulatory phonetics along
with learning the chart, it really helps to know what all the terms mean in
the descriptions (it also didn't hurt that I know French so I could tell the
difference between English <bay> [beɪ̯] and French <baie> [be] (the /b/ in
<bay> should be partially unvoiced, but I can't find the diacritic ) Which
is probably the vowel I had the most trouble with besides [ə] vs [ɑ]