On 22 October 2010 11:03, J. 'Mach' Wust <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 10:04:22 +0200, Josh Roth <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> >I just checked these, and the placement of the horn is off in both. If you
> compare
> ><a̛> or <i̛> with <ơ>, for example, you can see the difference. Unless it
> looks
> >different on different computers somehow?
>
> It does. The rendering of diacritics like these is normally achieved by
> smart OpenType features (alternatively, by AAT or Graphite). OpenType
> capabilities typically depend from applications to application.

Yes. By definition of their specification, how to show OpenType smart
features is left to the application showing the font. AFAIK, Graphite is
different in that it actually includes *programs* that *tell* the
application how to show a specific feature. So Graphite smart features
should look the same no matter the application (at least in an ideal world).
OpenType features don't have to. I don't know how AAT features fare, but
AFAIK they work similarly to OpenType smart features.

> Microsoft
> Word is especially known for its lack of any smart rendering. For what I
> know, this has changed since Microsoft Word 2010. There are other
> applications with better OpenType capabilities. OOo does Graphite. Many Mac
> applications do AAT.

XeTeX (a Unicode-aware version of TeX with very advanced font support)
supports both OpenType and AAT. I'm not sure about Graphite, but I think it
does have some support as well.
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/