On Oct 26, 2010, at 3:30 PM, Charlie wrote:

> --- In [log in to unmask], Arthaey Angosii <arthaey@...> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:45 PM, Andreas Johansson <andreasj@...> wrote:
>>> Which refers to which gender?
>>
>> "Diary" definitely has feminine/little-girl connotations; a journal is
>> a more "serious" record, although not necessarily implying a male
>> author.

I'm not sure there's any gender component for me, but a diary does sound a bit more personal than a journal. I imagine a diary as a secret, often locked book that you write your deepest, darkest secrets in, whereas a journal is something that you may or may not be planning to share—"journal" doesn't imply secrecy to me, although it doesn't exclude it. (You might then draw a connection between having those deep, dark secrets and being female, but gender in and of itself isn't conveyed by the word diary for me).

However, for me particularly, there is a very strong phonaesthetic component distinguishing the two—I would probably never use the term "diary" if it hadn't first been used by someone else, because it just doesn't sound right to me. I would default to "journal". "log" on a boat implies a public (or relatively public, within the ship itself) book detailing the operations of the boat and its crew as a whole, whereas journal is more likely the work of a single person, and diary definitely is.