2010/11/15 Kjor Olfaa <[log in to unmask]>:
> Jens wrote:
>
> This isn't really a comment, but a question. Do you have a list of
> what languages the individual words come from? Like Risto, I'm a
> proponent of using a variety of languages, so would be interested in
> where you got your words from, and also what basis. Did you choose
> based on the phonology, or try to achieve a balance, or take words
> that are commonly borrowed, for example?
>
> I've chosen the languages based on all three reasons you cited.
> Well, here's a provisional list of 90. I'm working on ten more at the moment.
>
> Afrikaans, Ainu, Albanian, Amharic, Arabic, Aramaic, Armenian, Aymara,
> Basque, Belarusian, Bengali, Bulgarian, Cantonese, Carib, Catalan, Chechen,
> Chukchi, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dari, Dutch, English, Esperanto, Estonian,
> Farsi,  Fijian,  Filipino, Finnish, French, Georgian, German, Greek, Guaraní,
> Hawaiian,  Hausa, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Inuktitut,
> Irish Gaelic, Italian, Japanese, Kazakh, Kechwa, Kiribati, Korean, Kyrgyz, Lao,
> Latin, Lithuanian, Malagasy, Mandarin Chinese, Mandinka, Maori, Mongolian,
> Nahuatl, Nepali, Norwegian, Pashto, Polish, Portuguese, Rapanui, Romanian,
> Rumantsch, Russian, Samoan, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili,
> Swedish, Tahitian,  Tamazight, Thai, Tibetan, Tongan, Tupi, Turkish,
> Ukrainian, Uyghur, Vietnamese, Welsh, Wolof, Yiddish, Yoruba, Zhuang.

Here's one thing about worldlangs that I think will be a problem:
whenever I see a large list like that I check to see if any of the
languages I know or like are in there. There's Uyghur, plus Kyrgyz,
but where's Uzbek? That's the most spoken Turkic language after
Turkish. They're closely related but that doesn't mean they like each
other - just this year there was terrible ethnic violence (Kyrgyz vs.
Uzbek) in Kyrgyzstan so a language that takes from Kyrgyz and not from
Uzbek looks like a slap in the face to the latter. Yiddish is also
there along with Icelandic, but no Frisian (more speakers than
Icelandic). Lithuanian but no Latvian, Georgian but no Abkhaz
(Abkhazians generally do not like Georgia at all), Bulgarian but no
Macedonian. With a worldlang with a large list of languages a person
is always going to scan the list to see if their language is there,
and if it's not then the next question is why. How does a worldlang
respond to that?

--
http://www.pagef30.com