On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 6:25 PM, Daniel Bowman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I was wondering what the "vs" means when used for the artists of a song.
> For example:  "Globe vs. Push-Dreams from Above" or "Darude vs. Paul
> Okenfold-Some Techno Song"
>
> Does it simply mean "versus" as in an attempt to pit the artists against
> each other, or does it mean to try and combine both their styles, or what?
>
> I understand this isn't entirely conlang-related but I couldn't figure this
> out using either Wikipedia or Google (I feel adrift!).  Perhaps that's
> because everyone else knows but me...
>
> Rescue, anyone?

It's used in electronic music for remixes. One of the two is the
original DJ, the other is the remixer. If it's used in part of the
title, rather than the artist, it usually denotes the original
components of a mashup.

A related term is "VIP". In electronic music jargon, a "VIP mix" is
when a DJ remixes their own track, and contrasts with "original mix"
and any other DJ's remixes.