I prefer (and it's the method I use in conlanging) to think of them as
moods. This is far from being correct in English (as my lecturer in
Computational Linguistics repeatedly told me) but I find it easy to
understand in this manner; perhaps English will one day develop these
as moods, marked with prefixes.

Anyhoo, the moods:

I want = desiderative
I wish = cohortative (although I have this described as "please may it
be that")
I hope = optative

These fall in contrast with the:

Energetic = It is definitely
Precative = would it be made so
Dubitative = it might be
Presumptive = I assume
Jussive = I plead
Volative = I fear
          etc, etc, etc.

I'm going to assume somebody points out that I have misspelled one/
more of these or have misunderstood one/more of these.