On Mon, 2010-12-20 at 13:59 -0800, Garth Wallace wrote:

> I'm generally using GNOME from startup. :/

The Gnome people had this bright idea of reducing the size of the
compose table by some clever coding to interpret it. The result is that
the GIM table is compiled, unlike the XIM one, so you have to switch
from GIM to XIM for a ~/.XCompose file to work. You just have to make an
entry in a file; I can't remember where, but it's been described several
times at linuxquestions.org. Then you can make things simpler, like
cutting out the shift (Compose-6 instead of Compose-^), more memorable
(like hyphen for a macron and underscore for underlining), and
appropriate to your needs (like Compose-l-h for ɬ).

The ability to use both Compose and Third Level Shift is one of the
things that makes Linux so good for languages, not to mention the easy
creation of and switching between keyboards for different scripts.