Not exactly on the subject, but may be useful to some of you.

AX makes it easy to get correctly accented letters even with your American
keyboard.
    * Can I use some key other than F8? Yes
    * Can I select which language and symbols to use? Yes
    * Can I alter the accenting to whatever I like that suits me? Yes
    * Can I switch between say a Swedish and French AX on the same computer?
Yes
    * Does it work with Unicode? Yes
Once you type the base character that you want to accent—maybe the letter
"E"—you just start pressing the [F8] function key. With each new press,
you'll get a different accent for your character, so you can cycle through
acute, grave, and circumflex accents, as well as umlauts for you fans of the
Germanic tongues, and so on. It works for other characters as well—maybe you
need a superscript digit or a subscript number for your mathematical or
chemical musings. It supports a bunch of different European languages, so it
probably has the right markings for your character. You can even change the
hotkey if [F8] is a favorite for you for some other use. It should be
compatible with all your other apps, so whether you're working in your word
processor, tweaking a spreadsheet, or anything else, you should be good to
go.

You can grab a copy of AX for free. It's an open source application and runs
under Windows.
(Sorry, Mac, only Windoze.)
check it out at
http://vulpeculox.net/ax/