Had my thoughts all along since this discussion was started.
Clinical decision making in ED is so important and experience of course is a
good teacher.
Tests should be done just to confirm, if at all.
Acutely ill children requiring our immediete attention will present as such and
with others the key is a good follow up.
It is only natural to feel good with a pick up of a chronic illness and beat
ourselves up if we miss one. I think we should be more humble and forgiving.
CRP will be elevated in any "itis" and is a sign of inflammation. Like sed rate
is a good one to follow if you are treating and need to see if your treatment is
working, like in osteomyelitis.
CRP has been studied to predict sepsis in newborn,appendicitis etc, an article
or two here and there. Surfaces in discussions now and then. As someone
mentioned  a good ammunition for lawyers.
I remember reading, the  adult world was using this as predictors of CAD.
Radhika Vijayan
HUMC

What lies behind us and what lies before us are  tiny matters compared to what
lies within us.

      -Emerson-