Same here in Louisville. Verbal consent for the abscess drainage.
Signed consent for sedation if needed.
Ron Paul

Ronald I. Paul, MD
Chief, Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine
University of Louisville
Kosair Children's Hospital
Louisville, KY

>>> Marty Herman <[log in to unmask]> 1/27/2011 1:47 PM >>>
First the post was fine. Be careful as posting can become addictive!

In my practice I verbally consent. If Ido procedural sedation I get
written_signed consent which covers both.

Martin Herman, M.D.

> Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 11:31:54 -0500
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Hello.  This is my first list serv post, so I hope it works
well!
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Hello.  This is my first list serv post, so I hope it works well!
>
> I am wondering what institutions do about informed consent for
abscess drainage.  Do you require patients to sign a form, do verbal
consent, or consider the treatment part of consent for treatment signed
when patients register?

> Selena Hariharan
>
> Assistant Professor of Clinical Pediatrics
> Associate Fellowship Director
> Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
> Division of Emergency Medicine
> 3333 Burnet Avenue, ML 2008
> Cincinnati, OH 45229
> (513) 636-7966
> Fax: (513) 636-7967
> e-mail: [log in to unmask]
>
> The information contained in this electronic mail message is
confidential and protected information intended only for the use of the
individual or Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center.  As the
recipient of this information you may be prohibited by State and Federal
law from disclosing this information to any other party without specific
written authorization from the individual to whom it pertains. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
copying, or action taken in reliance on the contents of this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and
destroy the message and its attachments.

                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html