Question for the group.  We are a growing community hospital in Brooklyn serving about 20,000 Peds er visits a year.  We recently have switched to a no waiting room policy in which all kids are brought back immediately upon arrival and triaged within the ER.  This puts a lot of strain on our one nurse so we are contemplating going to a pnp/physician driven triage and treat for our less sick patients, basically eliminating the need for a nurse for your run of the mill cases.  Anybody using such a model and have any tips as to streamline the process?  Does anyone know of absolute required fields that need to be included in the triage process?  We are trying to eliminate questions which appear to be directed more towards adults (I.e. Domestic violence, suicide) as i do not believe they are mandated for every pediatric triage. Any help would be appreciated.

Christopher Kelly
Medical Director
Pediatric Emergency Medicine
New York Methodist Hospital