I'm confused by this comment. Neither tei:facsimile nor support or zone
can take tei:figure, as far as I can see, only tei:graphic.

In any case, tei:desc inside graphic surely describes the image pointed
to by that graphic, "including its intended usage, purpose, or
application", which is surely not so far off what you'd want to put in a
caption. (And indeed the content model of tei:desc includes elements
such as bibl, cit, and the like which could be used to document the
origin, ownership, and other information about the image (precisely what
you might want in a caption).

But I'm keen not to commit tag-abuse, so if desc on tei:graphic should
*only* be used for technical description of the image (rather than
public-facing prose + a reference, say), then how do I get tei:figure
into the facsimile section?

On 06/01/2011 20:09, Lou Burnard wrote:
> <desc>  isn't really meant to hold a caption, but rather a description of
> the object. If you need a caption, I'd suggest using<figure>.
>

> On 06/01/11 19:09, Mylonas, Elli wrote:
>> I found<desc>   to be useful for the image caption. something like
>> "Page 2" or "lower left hand corner." But maybe that just means that
>> this is a job for<figure>?
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Lou Burnard
>> <[log in to unmask]>   wrote:
>>> Good question. There's an example showing that we ought to have thought
>>> of this before (the example showing high res and low res versions of the
>>> same surface)...
>>>
>>> I think the grouping is done solely by<surface>   -- all the graphicLike
>>> children of a given surface or zone are understood to be alternative
>>> versions of it. However, you can now add a<desc>   child to your
>>> have a more complex multipart graphic).
>>>
>>> So we should probably revise the existing example to say something like
>>>
>>> <facsimile>
>>>    <graphic url="page1.png"/>
>>>    <surface>
>>>     <graphic url="page2-highRes.png">
>>>          <desc>High resolution image</desc>
>>>     </graphic>
>>>     <graphic url="page2-lowRes.png">
>>> <desc>Low resolution image</desc>
>>> </graphic>
>>>    </surface>
>>>    <graphic url="page3.png"/>
>>>    <graphic url="page4.png"/>
>>> </facsimile>

Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)

Centre for Computing in the Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL