I think I will just stick with "und". And I will let the free text declare the regional assertion.

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul F. Schaffner [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2011 3:19 PM
To: McAulay, Elizabeth
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: language@ident for unknown language

Lisa,

I think we'd probably just use the three-letter ISO-639-2 code "und"
('undetermined'), but that of course fails to capture the "African"
part of the description. The ISO-3166 region designations can
be used to further specify, but I do not think that they include
continents (or anything bigger than countries), so you might
have to make up a private-use qualification to "und-". I've not
done that, so I  am speaking in ignorance, as always.

pfs

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011, McAulay, Elizabeth wrote:

> Happy New Year TEI folks!
>
> I am reviewing a TEI Header for a colleague and I'm looking for the best way to note in a TEI Header that an "unknown African language" is used in part in the document. I wanted to declare that information in
> <langUsage>
>   <language ident="">unknown African language</language>
> </language>
>
> I've reviewed the P5 guidelines, but the emphasis seems to be on declaring known languages.
>
> Thanks,
> Lisa

> Elizabeth "Lisa" McAulay
> Librarian for Digital Collection Development
> UCLA Digital Library Program
> http://digital.library.ucla.edu/
> email: [log in to unmask]

Paul Schaffner | [log in to unmask] | http://www.umich.edu/~pfs/
316-C Hatcher Library N, Univ. of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI 48109-1190