Hi Syd,

2011/1/16 Syd Bauman <[log in to unmask]>
[Originally sent 2011-01-04 20:52:41-05:00, but I had some trouble with a new mail client. Sorry.]

NP.

Hi Felix!
You're absolutely correct, the ident= attribute of <language> takes a
BCP 47 tag. You can find the documentation for this attribute, and
thus the BCP 47 tags, at
http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-data.language.html.
And I agree that the value of "und-002" is a good choice.
And while I don't think it is needed for Lisa's use case, it is worth
mentioning that when you wish to differentiate multiple undetermined
languages you can use private use subtags.  For example, if you have
two distinctly different languages both of which are known to be
African but no further details are available, you could use something
like "und-002-x-a" and "und-002-x-b". (There may be better ways, I
suppose, but …)

Here, I guess, if you have two different languages, you could try to bind them to region / country codes, e.g. "und-011" (western africa) vs. "und-014" (eastern africa). That would help to avoid private use subtags.

Best,

Felix